Tuesday, October 9, 2012

FASHION NEWS: Teen Vogue's New Beauty & Health Director, Elaine Welteroth

image via: tumblr
Congrats to Elaine Welteroth as she will officially begin her new position as Teen Vogue’s new Beauty & Health director on October 15th. I'm super excited and proud of the African-American Editor rise happening right now, women of color rock! It was only a few weeks ago when we told you about Keija Minor becoming the first African-American Editor-In-Chief for Conde Nast, Brides Magazine. Elaine is one lucky woman and I must say that although I usually get the "adult" Vogue, I'll be sure to pick a Teen Vogue magazine to support Elaine's new position, this is major.

In a brief interview she did with Fashionista.com made me fall more in love with my passion, check my favorite questions & responses below:

Fashionista.com: You’re about to start a lot of people’s dream jobs. How does one land such an amazing job? Why did you decide to take it?


"It’s all about preparation meeting the opportunity at the right time. I couldn’t step into this role with the confidence I have if I hadn’t been the intern slugging away or the editor who had to pull a ton of late nights. My mentor always said: “work like you’re making millions, even if you’re making pennies.” It’s worth it when you love it. And I had the chance to learn from some really talented people who have taught me a lot. So, this next step is sort of the culmination of a lot of work, great mentorship, and perfect timing. It’s an incredible opportunity, so saying yes was a no-brainer."


Fashionista.com: Your appointment comes at an exciting time as Keija Minor recently became Condé Nast’s first black EIC. She mentioned that she’s noticed more people of color moving up the ranks in publishing. Is that something you’ve noticed? Do you think there needs to be more diversity in the industry?

"The Brides announcement has been really inspiring for a lot of people, including me. I’m so thrilled for Keija! I think the goal should always be to find the right person for the job, and skin color should never be a barrier to that. We live in a multi-cultural world, so embracing diversity is important in every industry. As it related to publishing, I think magazines really benefit from having a staff with a range of different perspectives and cultural references so that any reader can feel like there is someone on the masthead they can relate to, someone they can trust to speak up for them. It’s great to see that idea being embraced more and more."


***

How about that for your morning cup of inspiration?! Loves it. Congrats again to Elaine, I'm eager to see what she's got up her sleeves for Teen Vogue!

No comments :

Post a Comment