Wednesday, May 2, 2012

GIRL TALK: How To Pack For Vacay!


VACAY anyone?!? I'm super excited I'm a little over a month away from my much needed vacay. I use to struggle with the idea of "What to pack for a 5/7 day trip" or "How To Pack All The Right Things" versus over-packing so I came up with a rules to follow. I've learned the pack-everything-leave nothing lesson one too many times at the airport when I had to pay an extra $40-60 before I even reached my destination...Not cool! I know plenty of my girlfriends that go crazy and stress over packing right before heading to the airport, but in my best Lauryn Hill voice "it can all be so simple." So, I've devised 10 simple rules to keep in mind when I pack to make sure that all the necessities are there, while still having room in your luggage for shopping at your destination (bringing home souvenirs, etc). Here's some Hump Day motivation for you!

HOW TO PACK FOR VACAY:
1. First things first, get a glass bottle of wine and turn your music up to get in a great mood before you start packing! 
2. Get organized: Sort through your closet and put together outfits for day and night (5 days requires 7-10 outfits) by laying them out on your bed so that it's visible.
3. Lay out accessories with each individual outfit (earrings, necklaces, rings, hair jewels, etc.) so the process of "how fab I would look in that outfit" can ensue.
4. Next, get out ONLY the shoes you know you will. Bringing tons of shoes/heels are not necessary because it just takes up space in your luggage. Limit the amount of shoes you bring (3 pairs of heels + 2 pairs of sandals/flats).
5. TRY IT ON! I'm not a huge fan of trying on clothes when I go shopping because I know my size and have finally come to terms that I'm a 3/4 not a 1/2 anymore! lol! But anyways, it's important to try on the outfits you've picked out along with your shoes to get an idea of how everything looks on you versus you getting to your destination and realizing that those super cute shorts of yours doesn't fit you anymore or that your printed blouse would look better with a pair of skinny's you left at home.
6. After the outfits are finalized, it's time to pack your undergarments. By this point you should know if you need a bandeau bra or seamless undies to go with that strapless dress or romper, etc.
7. Get all your hygiene products (travel size) together in one area of your room then double check to make sure everything is accounted for (especially sunscreen)! Once everything is accounted for I suggest placing those products in a secured case that will be in your suit case.
8. It's now time to get all your hair products/accessories together (put this in a seperate bag from your hygiene products)! I suggest packing either 1 curling iron or straighten iron. No blow dryers need!
9. You can finally *pour another glass of wine* pack your bikini/swimsuits/sarongs, etc. along within minimum beach accessories (1-2 beach towels, tote bag, etc.)! You can try it on and have a dance party of course ; )     
10. Last but certainly not least don't forget your nighties! Don't overthink this last rule, just pack some comfortable white-tee's, shorts, or a sleep onesie/dress (2-3). This is the easiest and less stressful rule that there is. "Just throw it in the bag"


Ladies, I advise bringing your make-up in your carry-on/purse because it's so much easier to re-apply a little bit of gloss to your lips or bronzer to your face upon your arrival to your destination. I recommend bringing one outfit, your clutches/designer bags in your carry-on luggage just in case their is a delay with your suitcases (this is a rule my fab mommy taught me!) so you will have options and not have a "lost-my-bag-haute-attack". I hope I was able to make packing less stressful and more fun for you....after all YOU ARE GOING ON VACAY! :) *pops champagne*


Need a Personal Shopper? Closet Organizer? Wardrobe Stylist? Hit up my inbox: StylebySchuntel@gmail.com

No comments :

Post a Comment